Drawing graphs in Silverlight

Topics: algorithm, graph
May 5, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Hello,
I need to solve the following problem of drawing graphs.
There are graph vertices from Q1 to Q8. Q1 is connected by an edge to Q3, Q2, Q6; Q3 is connected by an edge to Q5 and Q4; Q4 and Q5 are connected by an edge to Q8; Q2 is connected by an edge to Q8;Q6 is connected by an edge to Q7 and next with Q8.
Figure: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is just demonstration structure. I need to build the graph that has one starting block and one ending block (e.g. like tree-structure) where vertices can have several in-edges and out-edges each.
I would like to know which algorithm is the best for that purpose and which is the most suitable for drawing vertices.  The entire work is to be done in Silverlight 2.0 therefore a ready-made solution is out of the question.  I would like to use some solution from QuickGraph library for Silverlight and implement some algorithms for drawing blocks by myself.
Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2009 at 7:28 PM
I'm working on the implementation of an algorithm that will solve this problem. It will be available in 1-2 days as part of the Graph# library. Once i finished that algorithm i will make a release. So stay tuned :)
By the way I recommend for you the Sugiyama layout algorithm family...
May 7, 2009 at 8:57 AM
Thanks for your answer. So, I will be waiting for a new version Graph#.

Now, I will try to convert simple drawing of graph using Sugiyama layout algorithm from your wpf control to my Silverlight control. I have a little problem with transferring ResourceDictionary to SL because SL doesn’t support MultiBinding. I hope it's possible :)

Best regards,
Przemek
May 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I havent been able to find a Silverlight example.  How do I visualize the graph using the QuickGraph.Silverlight dll.  The Graph# example is in WPF.  Can any one help me figure to how to display the graph in silverlight and intereact with the nodes and edges?

Coordinator
May 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Graph# questions should be asked in the Graph# discussion board ;)

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Can anyone provide me a simple example of a graph in Silverlight?

I really appreciate that help!

Thanks

daniela da cruz